The Works of Lord Macaulay, Complete. Edited by His Sister Lady Trevelyan. In Eight Volumes.
by Thomas Babington Macaulay; Lord Macaulay; Hannah More Macaulay Trevelyan; Lady Trevelyan
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1875. 8vo (9 x 6 x 15 inches). Three-quarter bound in black morocco-grain cloth with marbled-paper sides. Spines in six compartments separated by raised bands, gilt lettering in two compartments, intricate gilt tooling in the remainder. Marbled endpapers. Top edges gilt. First vol. has frontispiece portrait with tissue guard. Armoral bookplate of Howell Wharton Bickley (1842-80) to each front pastedown. "MButler" penciled on top of three bookplates. A handsome set, particularly when shelved. All volumes unmarked, tightly bound, square and clean. No evident repairs. Interiors are in exceptional condition for books nearly 150 years old, with only slight tanning. Exteriors show a good deal of reading and shelf wear and general abrasion. Rubbing and chipping at hinges and spine ends. A 1.5 inch gouge mars the spine of Vol. 5. Dents to top and bottom edges of the rear covers of Vols. 5 and 7. Part of the marbled is missing from the rear cover of Vol. 7 and front cover of Vol 8. See photos. Contents: Vol. 1-4. History of England. Vol. 5-6. Critical and historical essays. Vol. 7. Critical and historical essays. Biographies. Indian penal code. Contributions to Knight's quarterly magazine. Vol. 8. Speeches. Lays of ancient Rome. Miscellaneous poems. Heavy item (21 pounds), additional charges for expedited or international shipping.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Books of the World (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The Works of Lord Macaulay, Complete. Edited by His Sister Lady Trevelyan. In Eight Volumes.
- Thomas Babington Macaulay; Lord Macaulay; Hannah More Macaulay Trevelyan; Lady Trevelyan
- Book condition
- Used - Good
- Quantity available
- Longmans, Green, and Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- set, history, essays, England, Great Britain, United Kingdom, India, Rome
- Bookseller catalogs
- India; History; Biographies; Britain; Law; Poetry;
- 9 inches
- 15 inches
- 21 pounds
- 6 inches
Terms of Sale
Books of the World
30 day return guarantee, with full refund if an item arrives mis-described or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2017
Ask Seller a Question
About Books of the World
Finding new homes for the library I collected over five decades of travel around the world.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- Book(s) which are sold at a very deep discount to alleviate publisher overstock. Often, though not always, they have a remainder... [More]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or... [More]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is... [More]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former... [More]